Friday, October 21, 2005

The British Library, quick thoughts

Just zipped here from Waterloo, where I did nothing but look. £12 for the London eye, £8.50 for Dali, £9 for the Aquarium (fish 'n chips not included) - walking is thankfully still free, as is the classic view of the HP sauce building which I caught in a classic rare photo that only about 123 million people have.

So, I'm inside the British Library and I haven't opened a single book yet. It's a bit overwhelming and I shall have to return early in the morning to spend a day here.

I'm upset that there's no free wireless access, so I'm using up my expensive (but cheapest that can be found), 4000 minutes for £40 BT Openzone.

I'm also starving, but £6 for a small wedge of bread with limp lettuce and a gulp of water is too much to bear. I'll hunt down a Tescos. Not quite as cultural as the Library, but a damn side cheaper.

I think it's international limping day here at BL, I've seen three people limp past in the last 10 minutes.

So what now ?

Hmm, pack up the laptop and stroll around. Possibly I'll open a book, but which one ?
There appears to be a slightly larger collection here than can be found at the central Randburg library. The building is a bit bigger too.

bb_matt limps off in search of rare reads and Tescos £1 salad sarnies ...

No comments: